Pink Mold…. What is it?

Most of us often notice “pink” mold in our toilets, bathtubs, or shower curtain. We get many clients that ask us about it or notice it when we are cleaning a bathroom. It is not just confined to the bathroom but other places such as the kitchen and even in pet water bowls. It is not a mold, actually. It is a type of water-borne bacteria, known as Serratia marcescens.

It may not always appear as pink but orange also. Or different shades of pink due to the red pigment that is formed at room temperature. It can be in different shapes and is normally slimy. It leans towards growing strongly in damp, wet and dark places. Your shampoo and soap residue can feed the bacteria. Make sure they are always cleaned up.

It is not as dangerous as black mold, but it is dangerous for those who may have a compromised immune system, children and elderly. It is harmful to anyone that encounters it, including your pets. As soon as it is noticed, you should clean and remove it right away. Some of the health issues associated with encountering pink mold are; UTI (urinary tract infections), respiratory problems. Pneumonia, etc.

Here are some tips when it comes to cleaning it and help preventing it:

  • Always were gloves and protective gear that you need when cleaning it.
  • Prevent moisture build up in places. One way in the bathroom is to leave the door open and fan going in the bathroom for at least 15 minutes after you shower. Dry showers walls and wet places in the bathroom after a shower.
  • Wash your shower curtains and let them air dry if you notice it on them. Also the same with bag rugs.
  • Check periodically for plumbing and leakage problems.
  • Clean your bathroom often. Remember that scrubbing away the pink mold does not always remove the bacteria.
  • Use a DIY solution that is 1 gallon of water, 2 tablespoons of liquid detergent and 1 cup of chlorine bleach. Spray the area you are cleaning with this solution, scrub it in and let it dry. Once the solution is dry rinse the area with clean water and dry it off.